EPA’s Office of Underground Storage Tanks intends to issue guidance that would clarify EPA’s underground storage tank (UST) compatibility requirement as it applies to UST systems storing gasoline containing greater than 10% ethanol and diesel containing an amount of biodiesel yet to be determined. EPA is soliciting comments on the proposed guidance on or before December 17, 2010. Comments can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-UST-2010-0651.
Specifically, EPA is requesting comments on the following issues:
- UST Components That May Be Affected by Biofuel Blends
- Methods To Demonstrate Compatibility
- Criteria for Equipment Manufacturer Approval as a Compatibility Method
- Applicability to Biodiesel Blends
- Ability To Demonstrate Compatibility Using the Proposed Guidance
- Other Options That Sufficiently Protect Human Health and the Environment
This is a very important guidance which will applies to owners and operators of underground storage tank systems, regulated by 40 CFR Part 280, who intend to store gasoline blended with greater than 10 percent ethanol. It may also apply to owners and operators storing a to be determined percentage of biodiesel blended with diesel fuel. Of course it also affects manufactures and installers of UST tank systems.